.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Monday, September 23, 2013

Read a Banned Book This Week

This week (September 22-28, 2013) is National Banned Books Week. 


I celebrate this week every year by re-reading Howl and Other Poems (1956) by Allen Ginsberg and re-watching the excellent movie about the book's obscenity trial (Howl, starring James Franco as Ginsberg). This photo shows cadets at Virginia Military Institute reading Howl, in the early 1990s. 


For a list of Banned Books That Shaped America (a list that includes Howl as well as some of my favorite novels), visit this link.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Charles Kinnaird said...

I happen to be reading The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I began reading it because I felt that I needed to hear more from a minority point of view after reading "Most of you have no idea what Martin Luther King actually did" at Daily Kos (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/29/1011562/-Most-of-you-have-no-idea-what-Martin-Luther-King-actually-did)

I learned this week that Ellison's book has been recently banned by a school district in North Carolina, one board member saying it had no literary value.

11:19 AM, September 24, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home