.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Thursday, April 25, 2013

Powerlifting for Pink

My first powerlifting competition was on April 20, “Powerlifting for Pink” – a fundraiser for Paint Georgia Pink, a local volunteer-run charity that helps support breast cancer patients in Georgia. I started training in late November 2012, at a powerlifting class coached by the very knowledgable and supportive Vanessa Gale and David Bell, at CrossFit on the Square in Marietta. Our team is named PrettyStrong Powerlifting.

I won two medals, 1st place in Masters (age 40+) Novice for my weight class, and 2nd place in Mens Novice. My deadlift was 314 pounds (142.5 kg) and my squat was 226 pounds (102.5 kg) – both were PR’s (personal records) for me. I attempted 198 pounds on the bench press but didn’t get it, so my bench PR remains 190 pounds. You can see the video of my teammates and I lifting at the meet here, on the PrettyStrong blog.

In the picture I’m standing with friend and teammate Amanda Shumate Carroll, who was also an award-winner at the meet.


I’m looking forward to entering more competitions and to getting stronger and stronger!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger tj said...

Go Darrell!

11:28 AM, April 29, 2013  
Blogger Jon said...

Like!

10:35 AM, May 06, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home