.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Having seen all 3 Lord of the Rings movies multiple times, and having worked through my rage at Peter Jackson for omitting Tom Bombadil from the films, and knowing that Jackson was going to squeeze 3 movies out of one novel this time, I wasn't expecting the film The Hobbit to be faithful to the novel. Approaching the film as its own creation, I found it enjoyable and times deeply moving. Yes, I found the video-game CGI aspects of the battle scenes a bit tiresome (and I don't remember that many battles being in the first third of the novel). And I can understand the frustration many feel about Jackson turning a beloved childhood novel into another 3-movie "epic." But overall I loved the movie. I loved the humor, the rapport between the characters, the sheer beauty of the scenery throughout the movie (as well as the beauty of Cate Blanchett and Aidan Turner), the pathos and expressiveness of Andy Serkis as Gollum, and, as always, the depth and dignity Sir Ian McKellen brings to any role he plays. I'm certain I'll see it again on the big screen, and I'm certain I'll buy it on Blu-Ray and geekily enjoy all the extras and commentaries.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home