.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Monday, April 16, 2012

Outrage & Beauty

There's a bumper sticker that has been popular in activist circles since the 1970's: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Today I saw the Tea Party version: "If you're not outraged, you're not paying taxes." I think there's a lot of truth to both bumper stickers! But I don't want to live in a state of outrage or perpetual anger. I'm trying to find a balance, a way of using the anger to do something constructive, then letting it go so I can enjoy my everyday life. That's why I participate in protests, prayer vigils, and workshops about fighting injustices and helping bring about positive change. I don't want to be one of those people who always complain about injustices but never DO anything positive. And I don't want to let those injustices rob me of the joy of living. As Emma Goldman said, "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Yes, you'll find the CD box set of Rage Against the Machine in my car, but you'll also find the box set of Thomas Tallis, who composed beautiful classical and liturgical music in the Tudor era. There's a lot of injustice in this world, but there is also a lot of beauty.
.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Charles Kinnaird said...

Love your example of balance. Reminds me of that statement by E.B. White: "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. That makes it hard to plan the day."

10:30 PM, April 16, 2012  
Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, what he said!

10:05 PM, May 03, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home