.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Sunday, February 05, 2012

The Amazing Story of the Televangelist and His Gay Grandson


This article in Details magazine, The Amazing Story of the Televangelist and His Gay Grandson, was difficult to read. I got choked up reading about the suicide of Oral Roberts' gay son Ronnie, then I got nauseated reading Oral's sermon against homosexuality, then I got angry reading how Randy Roberts Potts was denied access to his grandmother's funeral, then choked up again at the end of the article. Thank you, Randy, for sharing your story.

I attended Oral Roberts University for 2 years (1980-1983) and reading this article brought back a lot of negative memories. I'm grateful for the friendships I made during my time at ORU, and especially the relationship I now have with my godsons John and Sterling, the sons of 2 of my dearest friends from my ORU years.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tirzah said...

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

6:24 PM, May 28, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home