.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Monday, March 31, 2008

Movie: “The Nines”

My brain is still reeling from watching The Nines, a mind-bending movie that defies genre. Released in August 2007 in a limited number of theatres, it has recently been released on DVD. Part comedy, part sci-fi thriller, part satire of reality television (and reality itself), it’s a remarkable film that interweaves three stories together in a way I haven’t seen since Pulp Fiction.

The best review of the movie that I’ve found is on the gay blog After Elton – unlike other reviews on the web, this review by Brian Juergens doesn’t give away the ending or attempt to answer the unanswered questions the movie raises.

Yes, the After Elton review does focus on the movie’s star, Ryan Reynolds, and that fact that he is a “himbo” – especially in the first of the movie’s three parts, in which Ryan plays a blond sun-bronzed TV star who has obviously been spending a lot of time at the gym.



(Ryan actually turns out to be a good actor, not just a pretty himbo. Who knew? He does a great job playing three very different characters, as does Melissa McCarthy.)

I think The Nines can be grouped alongside other metaphysical films like I Heart Huckabee’s (one of my favorites!), Being John Malkovich, and A Scanner Darkly – movies that entertain you but also leave you asking existential questions and wondering about the true nature of reality. This movie takes “you create your own reality” to a whole new level. I found myself deconstructing myself after watching the movie.

If you haven’t seen The Nines, I highly recommend it. Let me know what you think of it! If you post any comments about the movie here, be careful not to spoil the ending for those who haven’t seen it.

.

Labels:

4 Comments:

OpenID myindigodreams said...

We just watched that movie last night. I didn't think I was going to like it. Hubby is more of a Ryan Reynolds fan than I am.

But I was surprised at how many times I stopped crocheting and was into the movie.

We both agree it's a keeper, one you have to watch a few time before your really get it. I love the bellybutton part. We didn't "get" it until we were watching the special features.

12:25 PM, April 01, 2008  
Blogger Trev Diesel said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of this. But if you're placing it alongside "Huckabees" then I gotta check it out. I'm heading over to Netflix right now to add it to my queue.

6:35 AM, April 02, 2008  
Blogger Jon said...

Me, too! Got a feeling April is going to be "Movie Review Month" at http://frimmin.com.

9:52 AM, April 05, 2008  
Anonymous arulba said...

Ah!!! I had put this movie in my netflix queue and immediately after watching it, purchased it. Fantastic movie. I couldn't remember who had recommended it. Now I know! :) (Glad I decided to cruise through your posts. It's been a while since I've checked in.)

I cried so hard at the end of this movie. I felt like it captured something something almost completely inexpressible that many of us experience but can't relate.

Thanks for the recommendation. Fantastic movie!

5:14 AM, May 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home