.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Friday, April 21, 2006

Living Mindfully



“Described by the Buddha over 2,500 years ago, mindfulness is a way of learning to see life as a unified whole. When we live mindfully, life is no longer divided between what we have to do and what we want to do. Life is no longer divided between ‘our’ time and time for others. All of life becomes our time. All of life becomes an opportunity to be alive and aware. When we live mindfully, we learn to be happy and content, whether interacting with our patients, filling in an appointment time in our calendar, enjoying time with someone we love, or relaxing with a cup of coffee.”

~ from Mindful Therapy, by Thomas Bien


“The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.”

~ Henry Miller

4 Comments:

Blogger Visual-Voice said...

the meditating cat is purrfect.

8:19 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger Larry said...

Is living mindfuly something like living in the Spirit? I've found that resorting to my mantra instantaneously moves my mind away from preoccupations into mindfullness; I also call it perfect peace.

9:21 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger isaiah said...

"All of life becomes an opportunity to be alive and aware."

Yes!

The message on the sidewalk reminds me of a favorite pastime I haven't done in a while. Used to scratch words, poetry, and various scripture or verses in the sand on the beach and leave it for whomever to read- or simply for the ocean to absorb.

The cat looks content!

4:51 PM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Darius said...

Profound and succinct.

3:52 PM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home