.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Blog of the Grateful Bear

ramblings of a freelance panentheist {"all things are in God, and God is in all things"} . . . musings on Emergent spirituality, powerlifting, LGBTQueer issues, contemplative prayer, mysticism, cats, music, healing, and more. I like my coffee and my existentialism dark-roasted.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marietta, Georgia, United States

I'm an LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), in private practice in Marietta, Georgia. My writings on queer spirituality have been published in Whosoever and several other magazines. I live in a house-in-the-woods (Bear's Hermitage) in Marietta with Leonidas (Lenny) and Guy, Mighty Warrior Cats, and way too many books.


Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gospel of Judas: Clear as Mud

In “Betrayed Again: The Gospel of Judas Roadshow,” on the Christianity Today website, reviewer John Wilson gives us this quotation from the Gospel of Judas, which shows how fragmentary much of the text really is:

“Jesus said, ‘Truly I say to you, for all of them the stars bring matters to completion. When Saklas completes the span of time assigned for him, their first star will appear with the generations, and they will finish what they said they would do. Then they will fornicate in my name and slay their children and they will [ … ] and [—about six and a half lines missing—] my name, and he will [ … ] your star over the [thir]teenth aeon.’”

Wilson makes the point that “this newly recovered gospel is a bit difficult to follow at times.” His brief review concludes with a tongue-in-cheek observation that made me laugh out loud:

“What the Gospel of Judas people really need is a version by Eugene Peterson. The Message: Judas. But don't hold your breath.”

(If that didn’t strike you as funny, be comforted: you are not a theology geek.)

Darrell
www.WildFaith.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Trev Diesel said...

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a theology geek - but we Methodists love us the Message...

...so I found it really quite funny.

:) :) :)

10:04 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger MheadDem said...

Ditto...

Also want to bring to your attention a book you might find interesting. http://www.throughtheeyeofthestorm by Cholene Espinoza. About a lesbian former Airforce U-2 pilot and current military corresponent's struggle with her faith as a devout Christian... Thought it might be of interest to you.

Thanks for the great commentary, I always enjoy reading it.

2:02 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Andrew said...

...and I think of myself as more of a God geek than a theology geek...

...but I found it really quite funny as well.

2:06 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Jon said...

It's unaminous. It's funny!

6:23 PM, April 23, 2006  
Anonymous VirusHead said...

I used to be a theology geek, but I moved into even stranger lands.

What now... maybe an alealogy geek, or allelleology geek, or maybe a theAlogy geek, or perhaps an atheology geek (if that idea hasn't already been ruined). I'm solidly anti-theocratic, and that's a start. Am I a recaffeinated doremireconstructionist?

A bleek, a smeak, a treac?

I have no idea.

However, I have to confess that I missed the reference, so I guess I'm just out of whatever stream it is after all.

Do you know where one might pick up a copy of the Gospel of Judas? I'm still taking in the Magdelene via osmosis, but why not go for more? I won't believe much until I've been able to read the text itself.

9:48 PM, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home